Top 10 Reasons You Don’t Exercise
By JFK Martial Arts, in Mandeville, Covington, and Baton Rouge.
Are you too busy to exercise? If so, you’re not alone. Studies show that 60% of American adults don’t get the recommended amount of physical activity, and over 25% of adults are not active at all (maybe a little too much TV time). These statistics reflect the fact that many of us simply don’t exercise. JFK Martial Arts wants to help you change. What’s your excuse for not exercising?
- You really hate to exercise. The key to happiness is doing things you enjoy. If you hate running, you don’t have to do it. Find activities that match your personality. If you love the outdoors, go hiking or biking. If you like simplicity, stick with walking or circuit training. Try things before you decide you don’t like them. Visit JFK Martial Arts for a fun and exciting martial arts fitness program.
- You’ve tried to exercise but you keep quitting. People often quit because: they schedule too many workouts, try to accomplish to much in too little time, or work too hard and/or don’t give themselves rest days. Do whatever you can–you have to start where you are, not where you want to be. Keep cardio light and schedule recovery days. Progress each week by adding a few more minutes to each workout. Enduring a martial arts program is easy, as they have regular belt rank testing to measure your results and earn your rank. Martial Arts is a way of life, mind, body, and spirit. Elvis Presley once said, “It’s not just self defense, it’s about…self control, body discipline, and mind discipline… and breathing techniques. It involves Yoga. It involves meditation. It’s an art, not a sport.”
- You can’t afford a gym membership. There’s no reason you have to join a gym to exercise. You can walk anytime, anywhere. Dumbbells are cheap and can be used for a variety of exercises. There are also an incredible number of workout videos available for the home exerciser. Visit JFK Martial Arts for affordable martial arts programs.
- You’re not seeing any changes in your body. Not losing weight fast enough? Welcome to reality. You don’t put weight on overnight and it won’t come off that quickly either. Once you start exercising, give your body time to react. It could take up to 12 weeks before you start seeing some real changes in your body. In the meantime, try to enjoy the other benefits of exercise. JFK Martial Arts schools have different programs to help meet your needs, and while you are waiting to see those results you will be building friendships for a lifetime. Building a healthy life style thru consistent healthy habits will change a life over a period of time. Nothing good comes quick.
- You don’t know how to exercise. That certainly won’t fly what with the wealth of information at your fingertips. Try one of the many exercise books, videos or websites that cover everything from cardio to stretching exercises. JFK Martial Arts has certified instructors ready and willing to help guide you to meet your fitness needs.
- You want to exercise but you have to take care of your family. You don’t have to neglect your family to fit in exercise. Join a health club that has a daycare center or do a video while they nap. If they’re old enough, have them participate in your routine by lifting very small weights or counting your repetitions, or take them with you on your daily walk. Show your family what it means to be healthy by giving them a good role model. Contact JFK Martial Arts for martial arts school about family discounts; families that kick together, stick together! Martial Arts at a JFK Martial Arts school is a great way to stay fit!
- You can’t seem to stay motivated to continue working out. If you’re tired, have the swamp blood or stagnant feeling, stressed or bored with your workouts, it’s hard to keep going. To combat that, change your routine every 4 to 6 weeks by trying something new or changing your intensity or time. Remind yourself every day what your goals are and what you have to do to reach them. Reward yourself often (massages make great gifts). JFK Martial Arts Schools do this for you with exciting, dynamic, and fun curriculums that will keep you coming back for more. It works!
- Exercise HURTS! You don’t have to hurt yourself to reap the benefits of exercise. When doing your cardiovascular exercise, make sure you’re in your target heart rate zone. You should be able to carry on a conversation, not huffing and puffing. When it comes to weight training, there should be effort involved since lean body tissue only grows when you challenge yourself. Using the heaviest weight you can handle for 12-16 reps will help you get the most out of your workouts. You should feel slight burning, but not teeth-gritting pain! Since martial arts is an individual sport, it is easy to gear for all fitness levels.
- You can’t make the commitment to stick to an exercise routine. When you look at exercise in the long term (i.e., that you have to exercise on a daily basis FOREVER), it can be overwhelming. However, you don’t have to change your life overnight. Start with small goals, such as to be more active every day by taking the stairs and moving around more. Decide you’ll get up 10 minutes early to walk or lift weights. Over time, you can increase your workout time and try new things. For now, just worry about making it a daily habit. Remember, keep it fun! JKF Martial Arts schools have programs for those that want to train 1-2 times per week or those that would like unlimited classes. Visit JFKMartialArts.com to learn more about martial arts programs so you can choose which one is right for you and your family.
- You don’t have time! Physically inactive people have just as much free time as exercisers, so you can chuck this excuse! Here’s how to get past a busy schedule:
- Schedule your exercise time.
- If you can’t find a full 30 minutes during your day, break it up into 10 or 15 minute segments.
- Get up a few minutes early and take a brisk walk, use 15 minutes of your lunch hour to walk the stairs and walk the dog or lift weights after work.
- Keep a calendar of your workouts to you can track your progress and stay motivated. JFK Martial Arts schools can help keep you on track as well. Their job is to keep you motivated.
- Remember that exercise generates energy–the more energy you have, the more you’ll get done each day.
Time is not an excuse, if we put more emphasis on doing something physically productive yet fun every day (little more down time from the TV) we could alter the time we have left in life.
Visit us online at JFK Martial Arts for any of our locations in Mandeville, Covington, and Baton Rouge.